Monday, January 5, 2009

Real vs. Fake Nails

For years I have gone back and forth between wearing fake nails and usung my own. Usually I have the fake ones on for about 5-6 months and then I get tired of them so I peel them off myself and go with the natural look, but that only lasts about 2 months before I want the fake ones back again. Right now I have had my own nails for 6 months - new record!

I've decided that when I want the french manicure then I need the fake nails so that they are all the same length and are all perfect and matching. I'm not into crazy designs or bright or dark colors on long nails... I went through a phase of that for about a year right after college (I felt that it was an easy way to express my individuality) but now I think it tends to look tacky and juvenile. I'm going for the more sophisticated and stylish looks now. :)
So when I want to do color then I use my own nails. Especially since a lot of the colors I've been using for the past couple of years are pretty dark. Short, neatly trimmed nails look great with a bold red, a rich burgundy, or a dark almost-black. The dark browns, greys, and burgundys that have a fresh modern appeal are very chic and fun, and the bright red on short nails reminds me of classy ladies of the 40's and 50's. How can you go wrong with that? :)

So 6 months and counting... we'll see how much longer I go before I feel the need to have the french manicure again. :)

No comments: