Monday, January 19, 2009

"My Auntie Jessica is Fancy."

On Friday night we went out to dinner with my hubby's cousin, his wife Traci, and their 8 year old daughter, Teresa. Even though we're technically "cousins" by marriage she still calls us Aunt and Uncle (so cute!).

Teresa is a sweet little thing that LOVES shoes and clothes, but especially shoes. Ever since she was 4 years old her favorite thing to do when they come to our house is to go into my closet, try on my shoes, and prance around in front of my full-length mirror. Traci always says that Teresa is more like me than like her because Traci isn't at all into clothes or fashion, and well, clearly Teresa takes after her Auntie Jessica in that way (Jessica is my name, by the way). ;)

So on Friday we met them at the restaurant and one of the first things Teresa asks me is what I think of her outfit. "Very pretty!" I tell her. "I love the pretty buttons and how sparkly that blouse is. By the way, I have a skirt very similar to that one." Teresa beams, always happy to hear that she owns something that's like mine.

As we're seated at our table the host says to Teresa, "Wow, you're looking really snazzy tonight! Is it your birthday?"
Teresa: "No"
Host: "A special occasion?"
Teresa: "I'm out to dinner with my Auntie Jessica. My Auntie Jessica is fancy."
(I try to stifle a laugh).
Host: Looks at me, smiles and nods, leaves the table.
Traci: "You should've seen her getting ready. She pulled out all of her prettiest clothes and said, 'which one do you think Auntie Jessica will like the best?' and 'which shoes do you think she'll like the most?' It took her 30 minutes to decide what to wear!"

Ah, a girl after my own heart. And "fancy", she says? How cute is that??? I thought maybe after she got a little older she wouldn't be so interested in me anymore but apparently I'm fancy. Love it! But only 30 minutes to get ready? Just wait until she gets older. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute!
I have a 4 year old nephew and I swear every time he sees me I NEVER have on makeup! So we are sitting next to the door getting ready to leave and he looks up at me and says "auntie you look fancy", I could of freakin died! He is so adorable and kids really say the darndest things!

Snickerdoodle Champagne said...

Ohh that is so cute! :)